|EIFS garbage is easily scraped off with a
Note the hairy black mold under the window.
|This severe rot could have been prevented by
a kick-out flashing, a simple piece of sheet metal diverting water from the flashing into
the gutter. We put on new kick-outs on all roof intersections, chimneys, etc.
|Pile of foam quoins, waiting to be thrown in the dumpster.||New quoins are made by forming quoins with one by fours and filling in with more lath and cement mortar. Foms are removed before the finish coat is applyed.|
|Chimney cam shows top of chimney. Old chimney was block with
on. After EIFS was stripped off, we found the chimney leaked bad.
The leak was due to the cap (top) of chimney
was flat instead of pitched away from the center. Also, the old mortar didn't bond to the smooth terracotta flue, leaving a big crack.
Here, top is coated on an angle, allowing water run off, and an acrylic additive assures a good bond the the flue.
|Chimney "shoulders" are done by covering with slate, which
reliable than stucco on horizontal surfaces. The slate protrudes past
stucco, forming a drip edge.
This is really fake slate, made from portland cement and sand.
The old houses in Chevy Chase, MD were done this way, which is where we got the idea.
|Scaffold around chimney is secured using
these 2 by 4 hooks. Note how 2 by 4 blocks
keep the ridge vent from getting smashed.
|Back side of roof hook is braced and weighted using these scaffold boards.|
|Finished house. I have more photos and
info about this project, but it'll have to wait until
the next update. Some people still have dial up modems.