|Outside of arch was done with a metal corner bead. This one was made especially for plaster arches. They aren't made anymore. On the inside, I didn't want that metal bead look, but the historic look.||We cut a strip of masonite and set it to the wall thickness. Here the
finish plaster is
troweled on and allowed to set before removing the masonite.
|Profile of bullnose is shown in this sheet metal
"knife" that I made.
|Knife is then screwed onto wood backup,
that was cut with a jigsaw. The template is
then screwed onto this wood slider.
Note in the background: I made two templates.
This allowed us to run two noses at the same time.
|Wood strip is screwed to wall. Wood strip is positioned by using the mold template and a framing square.||Top of wood strip is positioned by using a level.|
|Outside corner is filled with moulding plaster and lime and run by sliding the template up.||After a few times filling and passing the
template, my nose is shaping up.
|Straight areas are made by nailing a strip to one side and the filling in.||Cast plaster corbels are stuck on using moulding plaster. These nice casts are from Italy. I bought them at a craft store for about $ 8 apiece.|
|Lamb's tongue is carved into the green mortar.||Looks like 1890 in my dining room.|