Jobs in progress
updated November 18, 2015
Almost 17 years
of jobs in progress updates in Virginia, Washington, DC
and Maryland, update #141! I
started jobs in progress in January, 1999, when I registered my
domain. If you want to find out about plaster and exterior
cement plaster, also known as stucco, you are in the right
Thanks for reading. Keep checking back.
Please read my notes
|Taking down the scaffold in Reston, Virginia.
I exaggerated the colors of the leaves but you have to admit the picture looks nice.
More details here..
| The original house had ken-o-tex sprayed on plywood.
Kenotex was a spray on paint material with vermiculite balls that was sprayed on plywood or cement basecoats for a stucco look.
Here's the article I wrote about Ken-o-tex here.
Please click for more info about this project:
|Knocking down the Spanish texture.
More about this project:
|After two layers of tar paper (Count 'em. Not one but TWO !), we put on a counter flashing on all the roof lines. Note the nailing strip we put on the top of the
parapet walls to nail the coping to.
Click for More:
|We used 3/4" weep grounds at the bottoms of all the walls|
to allow drainage. There is nothing better to control
expansion is stucco than weep screeds or weep grounds.
Stucco is porous, like bricks. When stucco absorbs water
it swells up like a sponge. The weeps let the water out of
Please check out more details about this project:
|We put plaster around the house to keep the wall from getting splattered and stained. This isn't really economical,|
but I had a bunch of structolite left over from a fireproofing job and this was a good use for it.
It didn't take Sherlock Holmes to
find out the source of the leaks.
The flashing around the chimney had failed.
I bought a drone to estimate
chimneys but I haven't needed it yet.
More info and find out who the famous person is that lives here...
|The other chimney is deteriorated
worse. We cut off the stucco at the base of the chimney and put on flashing
overlapping the old flashing. The old
flashing on the Spanish tile roof never was put on tight to the substrate, in this case, terracotta blocks. We filled in the holes with super mortar.
|After 3/4" of cement mortar, the
old dash on finish is matched on the money
on this nice old 100 year old Spanish style house.
This stuff splatters everywhere. I wonder what they did 100 years ago when there was no tape and plastic.
|A decorative band hides the joint between the old and the new.
||We always embed coins on the top of our
chimneys. One day, someone may climb up here and see them.
|Old block basement walls needed a new finish for this basement remodel. Cement plaster is the material of choice for for damp basements.
Mold only grows on wood and paper materials
Steel trowel finish changes blah to elegant. The color is a custom color from Expo stucco in San Diego.
Crow's foot finish is duplicated
on this nearly 100 year old house in Silver Spring.